Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Las Rayos

So my first day of school went well, I suppose. We got to our school, COSI, at 7:30 a.m. so that we could take a verbal test and I did alright. I tested higher than level 1 but not quite level 2. I was informed that they did not offer the exact class that I would need during the morning, so instead I would receive private tutoring in the afternoon for 3 hours. I was a bit overwhelmed with the thought of having to talk an entire 3 hours in Spanish one on one, but then I found out that 2 other mujeres had been added to make an afternoon class. Whew!!! I really enjoy my teacher and my classmates, 23 year old Charlotte from London who is spending 6 months in Latin America, and 50-something Pamela from D.C. We get along well and have fun together.



It rained like crazy yesterday and the lightning and thundering continued to get closer and closer until literally it was 10 yards away from our classroom window. We saw a spark from the telephone lines and knew then that we should move to the inner part of the school. One of the staff girls from Holland doing an internship here came running out of the office freaking out because she said the lightning had gone right through the office. Everyone else was really frightened and nervous, but I thought it was all really cool.

Some interesting things about Costa Rica & Quepos:

  • Costa Rica is almost directly south of Florida, yet it is only one hour ahead of California time. They don´t do Daylight Savings Time.

  • Map of Quepos, where we are staying with our host family who live one block south of the campo de futbol.

  • Quepos has a really good high school band and really cute kids who play futbol.

2 comments:

AnnEE said...

how long are you going to be there?

Cheryl & Kyle said...

we are here until 24 de julio. me gusta mucho aqui. ¿como estas?