Thursday, July 5, 2007

I heart chips and I hate suffocating in the corner

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am in love with chips y salsa. I don´t really know why and I can´t explain how come, but I am simply and purely addicted to chips and salsa. Perhaps it is due to the fact that it has become a family tradition to open up and devour a bag of tortilla chips with salsa after church every Sunday. This act is probably the first thing we do when we get home from church. It takes place before I change out of my church dress, it happens before my dad goes home teaching, and it happens before my mom takes her Sunday afternoon nap. So you can see my sadness and consternation that chips and salsa are not that popular in Costa Rica. In fact they are not that popular in Mexico either, seeing that chips and salsa are more of a Tex-Mex food. Same goes for carne asada tacos, which is another food item that I simply cannot go without for very long. Once again, they are not that common in the wonderful country of CR. But alas, we went to a great restaurant last night, Marlin of Manuel Antonio, and I was able to get Tex-Mex nachos with the chips on the side. I was in heaven!!!! In fact I deposited the remaining chips into a small bag to take home with me because I couldn't dare leave them behind.

Last night was probably the worst night I´ve had here so far. It started to rain around 10 pm, which is fine and dandy except that it makes things even more humid. Not the greatest when you are trying to sleep. Then sometime during the late hours, between the lightning and thundering the electricity went out which turned off our ceiling fan as well. It became very hard to sleep because it made you feel like you were suffocating which was what I was trying to avoid. The ceiling fan in our room is directly over my mom´s bed, and from my bed I cannot feel its effects at all, thus making me feel like I am suffocating in the corner. To combat this, every night I move my bed right next to my moms so that at least one half of me can feel the circulating air and attempt to sleep. But with no electricity to power the fan I felt as if I were back in the corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mention church a lot in your blog. Can you tell me more?

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).