Saturday, July 14, 2007

El Presidente de Costa Rica-Oscar Arias

So yesterday was our last day of classes for the week and I was a bit happy for it to be over. School has been going great but I was ready for the weekend, especially since we had to take an exam. It doesn´t really affect us but other students who are taking these courses for credit need to do well in order to get a good grade. I sort of thought the test would have been harder seeing that we had learned a heap of verbs in the preterit that are irregular this past week but there were only a few of those on the test. Two of the other students thought it was really hard but my mother and I seemed to breeze right through it. Just a disclaimer, if my spelling or grammar is off it is because of the massive amounts of Spanish floating through my head. I have noticed that I can´t spell in English anymore and my mom has been having a difficult time speaking in her mother tongue.


The security for high profile people, such as the president of the nation, seems to be quite lax here in Costa Rica. Last night the president of CR, Oscar Arias was in Quepos and you wouldn´t have even known unless someone told you. Our mama tica is the secretary of the local library association, being a retired teacher of 29 years and all, and invited us to the grand opening and ribbon cutting of the new local biblioteca where the president would grace us with his presence. The motorcade consisted of one gun toting motorcyclist, and about 4 ho hum ordinary trucks. The president did ride in style in a nice Range Rover but no one bothered to pat us down, check our purses or scope out the area. Very tranquil and low profile.

Our mama tica is the one on the right and President Arias is the man in the middle.

0 comments: