Friday, October 5, 2007

A chef I am not!

So today we are doing a pasta potluck for those of us teachers who have 2nd lunch. I signed up to bring brownies. I just seemed to have troubles at every turn. First, I didn't have a pan to bake them in because it just wasn't something I thought to buy when moving in to my new apartment. So a quick trip to the local Target fixed that problem. Second, when I was getting the measuring cups out for the water and oil, I could not find the 1/3 cup . I have 1/4 cup, 1/2, 3/4 cup and 1 whole cup, but no 1/3. I looked in all the cupboards and drawers, I looked in the dishwasher, but to no avail it did not exist. So then I had to sit there and try to figure out the math. 1/3 is more than 1/4 but less than 1/2, so I could use the 1/2 cup but not fill it up all the way, or the 1/4 cup and then add some extra. I did the second of the two and added what I hoped was 1/3 cup water. Water!?! oops!! It was supposed to be 1/3 cup oil and only 3 tablespoons of water. In all my frustration and discombobulation I had hastily mixed the two up. So now I had to pour out some of the water, which had now turned a muddy brown color, trying to only allow 3 tablespoons remain. Of course some of the powder snuck out too but this was not too easy a think to accomplish. Then I had to estimate 1/3 cup oil to add and an egg. Stir it, pour it and shove it in the oven. 32 minutes later I pull them out and they look suprisingly decent. I didn't eat one because I needed everybit to take for the potluck, but I did lick the spatula and eat the crumbs that come off as you are cutting them. Those seemed all right, nothing terribly wrong. so I hope all is well .

2 comments:

Ali said...

Oh man, I can identify with this entry... I had to make a salad today for a funeral and I had to battle the stupid saran wrap for about 10 minutes and thought to myself that surely there are people out there that would pay to see the self inflicted mess I had created. When Andrew comes home, I'll be sure to blame Eliza when he sees all of it in the trash can! Just kidding

AnnEE said...

Jason almost had to ban me from cooking when I was pregnant, because I was so spacey! I would forget ingredients and cook things for too long. It was rough. I'm glad that the brownies turned out though!!