Saturday, June 23, 2007

Viva Las Vegas

So I made a very quick trip up to Las Vegas yesterday and am already back. It helps when you only live 2 hours 45 minutes away. My mom says it should take 3 1/2 hours, but obviously we don't have the same driving habits, nor driving records and number of tickets, but oh well. The reason for the quick trip was to help out a friend. Her mom is going to visit her other daughter in Canada for a whole month and it was $500 cheaper to fly out of Las Vegas than LAX or Ontario. So, we took off Friday around 10 am, did some shopping at the Outlet Mall in Primm, where I got some hot slingback heels, a sundress and a cute shirt. Her mom flew out Saturday morning at 7 am, where I had to make a mad dash up the airport escalator to a store to buy some more luggage, in order for her to evenly distribute the extra weight of 25 pounds so as to avoid an astronomically high extra fee. I hate that the airlines lowered the weight limit, but I guess they have to make money somehow.

We did manage to fit in 2 shows while briefly there.

  • KA: a Cirque du Soleil show at the MGM Grand which I must sadly report I was a bit disappointed with. I have previously seen Quidam and Mystere with much enthusiasm and astonishment, but was left wanting with KA. I kept waiting and waiting for the excitement to begin with acts meant to dazzle the mind, but it never came. I must admit the set and design was beyond imagination, but I came to see little people in tight leotards jumping, spinning and flying with incredible ease and fluidity.



  • Bodies-The Exhibition: a traveling exhibition which was on display at the ghetto old Tropicana. This exhibition is not for those with a fear of cadavers, because the entire display is made up of dead bodies in various conditions. One room has a skeleton person with only the muscles remaining, where another room focuses on the major organs, or the nervous system. My favorite was where they had injected some colored dye into the bloodstream which had then hardened all the arteries and veins different colors. Very interesting and incredibly fascinating. Also, evidence and proof to me that there is in fact a God who created us, for there is no other way that our intricate and perfectly designed bodies could have come about.

0 comments: