Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Future Mrs. Clark

My relationship with Kyle started on Saturday 26 January 2008 and has been fun-filled and loving ever since. But this past week things got a bit more intense...

Tuesday 16 Sept 2008 was his birthday and I told him to pick a place for me to take him to dinner. He chose El Torito in Dana Point, seeing that it was at the beach and it's nice to get out of the IE every once in awhile. After dinner we parked near the marina and walked out onto the jetty. We sat on the rocks and were talking about how neat it was that we both grew up beach camping at Doheny State Beach and how we looked forward to doing that with our future children, when he whispered in my ear, "Will you marry me?" I looked him in the eye and asked if he was serious. When I saw that he was I said, "Yes, a thousand times yes!" Kyle then proceeded to pull a ring pop candy from his pocket and placed it on my finger. There were a few tears, some hugging and a whole bunch of kissing.

Some people have known that Kyle and I have been discussing the issue of marriage for some months now or knew from their own intuition that it would eventually come to be, but I personally did not expect the proposal to come for at least another 2 months, possibly around Thanksgiving time. So it was quite the surprise when he asked me Tuesday night and completely took my breath away.

He did not propose with a ring basically because I did not want him to. I am rather picky about the ring that I want, seeing that I will be wearing it for the rest of my life. But I also did not want to go ring shopping together because if we started doing that it would be a matter of a few weeks before he would propose, and I wanted that to be a complete surprise. So I had told him that he could propose with a $10 fake ring, a Cracker Jack ring or even a ring pop for all I cared. Then afterward we would go ring shopping together, which we will be doing this Wednesday.

Tuesday night after proposing he then asked how we wanted to announce it. Did we want to tell people right away or wait until Friday night when we were having a birthday dinner with his whole family and my parents? We decided to wait until Friday night at dinner and surprise them all together. Half-way through dinner Kyle says nice and loud, "hey Aunt Kim, we are going to need Sarah and Andrew's mission addresses so that we can write them and tell them we are getting married!" A hush and silence for about 2 seconds comes over the whole group as people are processing and then someone asks, "Is that you guys announcing you are engaged?" A round of congratulations and a series of questions bombard us as we inform them all of how it happened.

Friday 10 July 2009 will be the blessed day in the San Diego Temple.

11 comments:

Jen Bowen said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! From reading blog posts for the last couple months it sounds like you two are a perfect match!

Matt and Amie said...

Wow! How fun. Congratulations! Im so happy for you!

HILL HESS said...

Congratulations!! I had a feeling this would be the lucky post. I'm so happy for you guys. I'm so glad I got to meet Kyle in June. It's nice to have a picture in my mind. You better post a pic of your ring when you get it. :) Love ya.

Stephanie said...

Yay yay yay yay yay!!! I have been waiting for this post forever - since I met Kyle in Utah a couple months ago. I am SOOOO happy and excited for you!!! Congrats!

Anna said...

What a cute story. I am really so excited for you both. Kyle seems like a perfect guy for you. I do have to ask, why such the long engagement?

P.S. Can't wait to see pictures of your ring. :)

Emily said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I am so so so happy for you cheryl! I miss you so much! that was one of the cutest proposals I have heard of. sounds like it all turned out just they way you imagined it would. I wish you two the best. you will have to keep us updated. and if there is any way I can make it to the wedding...I will be there!!! I love you! cant wait to see the ring you pick out! he he he.

Cheryl & Kyle said...

3 reasons for the long engagement:

1. i don't really want to get married during the school year as i would have to take a bunch of time off of work and december break is just too soon

2. i want a summer wedding therefore christmas break does not work

3. kyle and i are non-traditional when it comes to weddings in the mormon culture and feel no need to rush it. we've waited this long we can wait another 9-10 months:)

Kirsten and Steve said...

WE ARE SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!! I found your blog just in time to catch the big news although now I want to go back and read all about this Kyle fellow and what you have been doing the last year! I love you Cheryl!!!!!

Emily Kikuchi said...

Cheryl I a SO SO SO happy for you! Congratulations times a bazillion!!!!

Amy-Alisa said...

Congratulations. Guess you can disregard my email. I am so happy for you! Kyle has good taste.

erika said...

What a sweet story! I was totally fighting back tears as I read it (I know, I'm a sap.) The ring is so amazing too, I love the cut of the diamond. Not to mention how smokin' hot you will be in your sassy new pink gear. You are on a roll and you deserve every happy moment! Much love....